Saltaire Village, World Heritage Site
Date:
Image by Dan Bailey

 

 

 

Saltaire Village World Heritage Site
   
Back button | Home | Saltaire History | Saltaire Street Names by Barlo and Shaw
Introduction | Ada St | Albert Rd | Albert Terrace | Alexandra Square | Amelia St | Caroline St | Constance St | Daisy Place | Dove St | Edward St | Exhibition Rd | Fanny St | Fern Place | George St | Gordon Terr | Harold Place | Helen St | Herbert St | Higher School St | Jane St | Katherine St | Lockwood St | Lower School St | Mary St | Mawson St | Myrtle Place | Shirley St | Titus St | Victoria Rd | Victoria Terr | Whitlam St | William Henry St

Lower School Street, Saltaire

< Previous | Next >

It would have been unsurprising if this short street had been named, like the majority of streets in Saltaire, after a member of Sir Titus Salt’s family, or another personage of note. Instead it was given a logical title in keeping with its location, flanking as it does the north side of the original Factory Schools (now premises of Shipley College).

At the time there were no descendants of Titus Salt awaiting the honour of having a street named after them, but there were arguably other candidates, who had contributed to Saltaire’s success. In addition to the architects Lockwood and Mawson – who had streets named after them – there was, for example, William Fairbairn, the civil engineer who had so successfully specified and designed the mill’s engineering requirements. There was also Charles Stead, who had worked for Salt since the 1840s and had been a company partner since 1854. Perhaps regrettably, their names are absent from Saltaire’s street lexicon.

The street was completed in 1868, the houses being two-bedroomed “improved workman” cottages. Lower School St had seven such dwellings (Higher School St six). Annual rent for a house was approx £7. 4s.
 
Deserving of applause are the improvements made in October 2005 to the external appearance of one of the Lower School St properties. Its handsome stonework, which at some stage had been painted white, has been restored and re-pointed. The result leaves the entire terrace of properties as one of the most harmonised streets scenes in the village, and a credit to our World Heritage Site.

© Barlo & Shaw

Contact the Barlo & Shaw | Comment on this article

 

   

 
Website designed and maintained by P. A. Reynolds
Copyright saltairevillage.info, 2006 to present
Proud to be hosted by Green ISP