Saltaire Village, World Heritage Site
Date:
Image by Dan Bailey

 

 

 

Saltaire Village World Heritage Site
   
Back button | Home | Saltaire History | Saltaire Street Names by Barlo and Shaw
Introduction | Ada St | Albert Rd | Albert Terrace | Alexandra Square | Amelia St | Caroline St | Constance St | Daisy Place | Dove St | Edward St | Exhibition Rd | Fanny St | Fern Place | George St | Gordon Terr | Harold Place | Helen St | Herbert St | Higher School St | Jane St | Katherine St | Lockwood St | Lower School St | Mary St | Mawson St | Myrtle Place | Shirley St | Titus St | Victoria Rd | Victoria Terr | Whitlam St | William Henry St
Exhibition Road, Saltaire

< Previous | Next >

Exhibition Road is the only road in the village to have been named subsequent to the 1876 death of Saltaire’s founder Sir Titus Salt. Initially lacking buildings fronting onto it, it was unnamed prior to the Royal Yorkshire Jubilee Exhibition, held there in 1887.

One of the outstanding successes of the original township was its Schools of Science and Art. These Schools, housed in the Institute in Victoria Road, proved so successful that by the mid 1880s they needed more space. At the suggestion of Titus Salt Jr, son of Sir Titus, the Salt School governors of the time resolved to erect a new facility, behind the existing Institute. The development was to cost £12,000, to be raised from an exhibition which for its five month duration would use the new building, together with 12 acres of land to the east.

The Royal Yorkshire Jubilee Exhibition was opened by Princess Beatrice on 6th May, 1887. For the one shilling (5p) entry fee, any visitor would have been impressed with the Exhibition’s scope – to the north of the new School was a Concert Hall seating 3,000; a covered avenue extended as far as the site of the present Baker St, with a series of Exhibition Courts along its length. Other features included a maze, a Japanese village, a toboggan run, and a working dairy. An electrically powered lighthouse, mounted atop the new building, shone out across the surrounding countryside. 

Today the 1887 Exhibition Building is home to our prestigious Shipley College, and Exhibition Road marks part of the eastern boundary of the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Saltaire.

© Barlo & Shaw

Contact the Barlo & Shaw | Comment on this article

 

   

 
Website designed and maintained by P. A. Reynolds
Copyright saltairevillage.info, 2006 to present
Proud to be hosted by Green ISP