Saltaire Village, World Heritage Site
Date:

 

 

 

The Saltaire Sentinel
Saltaire Village World Heritage Site
Saltaire Sentinel
   
Back button | The Saltaire Sentinel | January 06

Barlo & Shaw's A to Z of Saltaire street names
SHIRLEY STREET

Shirley Harris Salt was the first-born grandson of Titus Salt (the founder of Saltaire), being the only son of William Henry and Emma Dove Salt.  As the only son of an eldest son, Shirley would, in the fullness of time, inherit the baronetcy which was awarded to his grandfather in 1869.

Born on 4 May 1857, Shirley’s early childhood was spent in West Yorkshire, his parents setting up home first at Southowram, near Halifax, where Shirley was born, before moving to Summerhill, Rawdon. Unlike the three Salt generations before him, Shirley did not enter the textile trade.  Indeed by 1873 his father William Henry had severed his own links with Salts Mill, the family moving to Leicestershire. In due course, Shirley graduated from Cambridge and by the age of 23 was married and living in Regents Park Rd, London, being a student of law. He subsequently qualified, and went on to become a barrister of the Inner Temple. He succeeded to the title, at the age of 35, on the death of Sir William on 7 July 1892, and held the title until his death on 11 Feb. 1920, aged 62. It is sobering to realize that by this time the baronetcy and the textile township created by Sir Titus had long gone their separate ways.

The 32 houses in Shirley Street were reportedly completed in 1861, being designed as three-bedroomed improved workman cottages.  Unlike neighbouring Constance and Katherine Streets, Shirley Street extends westward into Albert Rd, providing eased access into this south-west quadrant of the township.

   

Website designed and maintained by P. A. Reynolds
Copyright saltairevillage.info, 2006 to present
Proud to be hosted by Green ISP